Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Friday

we get the keys. We think! It is exciting and frightening at the same time! We have basically determined that this move is better un planned than planned due to the fact that we didn't know when we would get the keys. In addition there is a large amount of work that needs to be done before we can actually live there. Well it could be a large amount of work, or a small amount of work, depending on how things go. Two main issues prevent us from living there at the moment.

1. The water system needs repair. It is a minor repair, and inline with my experience. I'm not concerned at all about this repair. I know what needs to be done, I have done it before and expect no issues with it.(Famous last words!)

2. Both toilets drain slow....very slow. This can be a bit more tricky. I am hopeful that snaking the drains/toilets will fix the problem, but there is always the chance that it will not fix it. We are on a septic system, which is new to me. This repair worries me the most because it, to me, is an un known quantity and I'm not sure I can fix it on my own.

The rest of the repairs, and there are many, are minor in nature and not required to move in. Some of the grading around the foundation needs filling in, some of the eves need repair, most of the out buildings need new roofs, some broken tiles. The garage door needs some work. Although numerous in count, they can each be accomplished in a weekend.

One thing we are going to try and do is use swamp coolers, otherwise known as evaporative coolers. Think of a humidifier on steroids. They are especially well suited to the dry, hot weather found in southern Nevada. They are much, much cheaper to run than air conditioners. There is one built into the family room and we also plan on adding either a window or portable one somewhere in the house. Our hope is to not rely on our non functioning air conditioner.

Some other (short term) things I want to do are to:
1. Mark the electrical system.
There are two main boxes in the house. One seems to cover the addition, while the other covers the original construction. Very few of the breakers are marked. This is an easy task, albeit time consuming.

2. Understand the water system better. There are several automated watering systems there that may or may not be functioning. In addition there is a cistern or storage tank tied into the well system that I do not understand as of yet.

3. I do not know where my septic tank and field is located. I need to know this.

Longer term I want to:
1. Supply electrical to the garage, and possibly even water.
Aside from that I would only need a swamp cooler, satellite TV, a computer with internet, and a fridge in my garage. To prevent me from actually working in the garage, I plan to put down some kind of expensive flooring that I wouldn't dare to get dirty!

2. I wouldn't mind growing a 5'X10' patch of grass just to lay in once in a while! Then again, I would have to cut it, so maybe not!

3. Our prime Nevada dirt is full of weeds. I'm not sure what to do about it at this point. Spraying a pesticide on them sounds good, until you factor in that I will eventually be drinking whatever I put in the ground. Bleach, salt or vinegar are also said to work to some extent and are much more natural. I could also just pull them. I may end up doing that, one small area at a time.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails