Saturday, January 31, 2009

Today I did some bird spotting.

I went first to Sunset Park. It was a beautiful day here. Sunny, 66F. Doesn't get much better.
Gilded Flicker

There was a larger variety of birds today than I have usually found at Sunset Park. The Gilded Flicker is a beautiful bird! He just sat there staring at me as I took pics of him. I've never seen a Gilded Flicker before. Only (Yellow Shafted)Northern Flickers.

IMG_8000
Gambrel Quails are like pigeons back home. They are everywhere!

Las Vegas Strip
A view of part of the strip from the Wetlands Preserve. Just to show that Vegas has more to offer than the "strip".

IMG_7967
Not sure if he's building a nest or what.

IMG_7991
This Road Runnner is brining a leaf to his mate. I think they were building a nest. It seems more or less like spring time here.

IMG_7974
This is a new one on me. I've never seen a Phainopepla before.

IMG_8110
An American Coot. Very common here and back in Michigan.

IMG_8125
Another new one on me. A Northern Shoveler.

Hummingbird
Other than to say it is a Hummingbird, I don't know what to say. Hummingbirds are VERY difficult to differentiate to me.

Hummingbird

Hummingbird

Hummingbird



IMG_8086
Just a shot of a pond in the Wetland Preserve.

Had a great time today. Spent about 4 hours bird spotting. Took nearly 300 photographs, kept about 40 of them and posted about a dozen to Flickr.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails