Saturday, February 21, 2009

The wetlands

When I first went to the Wetlands Preserve back in 2007 I remember walking along the path and seeing a bird jump up. I only saw it for about 2-3 seconds, and it was gone. I knew it was a raptor type bird(or so I thought), and that it was whiteish. With a 2-3 second view of the bird it really could have been anything from an Osprey to a Black Capped Night Heron. White, Black and Grey, all blurred together in 2-3 seconds....Could describe either. Now I know for sure it WAS an Osprey as seen below:
(Time to eat some crow...I'm now sure that this is NOT an Osprey)
IMG_8750

But i'm getting ahead of myself.....
The first bird I was was a Orange Capped Warbler:
IMG_8681
I've seen these before in Michigan, but until today I thought they were Wilsons Warblers. They are not. Not enough black in them.

This is an unknown Sparrow:
IMG_8683
I admit it, I'm too lazy to try to figure it out....lol

IMG_8690

Other than to say this is a Sparrow, I'm not going to even try:
IMG_8709

This is a seed of some kind. They were all over the park. You will see many of them in my other pictures. I don't know what they are.
IMG_8717

Again, whaty I believe to be an Orange Crowned Warbler.
IMG_8724

This, a new bird to me, is a Virden:
IMG_8731

IMG_8736

IMG_8737

I walked about .5-3 miles by this point. I stopped for a smoke break. Everyone know excercising and smoking go together right????? While standing there I looked up and saw this:
IMG_8750

This is an Osprey:
IMG_8754
A new one on me. Never photographed one before.

This is another un known Raptor. I do not think it is a Red Tailled Hawk as it is missing the red/brown areas on the leading egdes of th wings:
IMG_8784

IMG_8785


This is a Snowy Egret. Not to be confused with a Cattle egret, much more orange on the beak, or a Great Egret, a bird 2-3 times larger.
IMG_8787


IMG_8790
A Common Morehead.

This is a Great Egret:

IMG_8820

Note the black beak and, although hard to tell in the photo, it is 2-3 time larger tha the Snowey Egret.
IMG_8833

some of the f;;ood damage from last week:

IMG_8846

IMG_8852

Although in this picture it seems, to me anyways, to have the face of an owl, it is, I think a Raptor.
IMG_8854
I thought at first, it couldn't be a bird, it must be debris from the flooding. I was wrong:
IMG_8857

IMG_8861
IMG_8867

IMG_8874

IMG_8876


IMG_8886

the King Bird...
IMG_8898

IMG_8901


IMG_8903


Un Known Sparow:
IMG_8911

Green Winged teal:
IMG_8938

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails