Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I found this

article to be an interesting story. While I can't speak for everyone, I think most Americans strongly identify themselves as American. I was supprised to read that Britain does not have this same type of identification with thier nationality. I suppose I never really gave it much thought until reading the article though. A few people in the article thought that it was an attempt to either become more like America, or to speed the integration of immigrants into British society.

As to the first point I would say, if its true, that it is very misguided because Britain is not America and never will be. I have nothing against Britain, they are one of our best friends and allies in the world. There is a special bond between our countries that will likely never be torn apart. Although we have a intricately shared history, there are also many, many subtle and not so subtle differences between our two countries.

As pointed out in the story, the Pledge of Allegiance is recited in the USA daily by millions of school children, yet in Britain that idea seems far reached.

I can't really speculate about the issue of quicker integration of immigrants into British society, but I think it is true to say the the speed and depth of immigrant integration into American society is much faster and deeper.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails