Sunday, March 23, 2008

Mr. Mayor.....

For those that do not know, and maybe don't care...... Mr. Oscar Goodman has been the Mayor of Las Vegas since 1999. In 2007 he was re elected to his last 4 year term with 87% of the vote. I do not think I've ever lived in a place that had an actual "mayor" before. He is routinely reffered to as "Las Vegas' most popular mayor", yet he can be sort of contraversial as seen in this incident:


Goodman was speaking before a group of fourth-graders at Jo Mackey Elementary School. When asked what he would bring if marooned on a desert island, the mayor replied "a showgirl and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin." Further, when asked about his hobbies, the mayor named drinking Bombay Sapphire Gin as a favorite. Later, when asked to comment, Goodman was unapologetic: "I'm the George Washington of mayors. I can't tell a lie. If they didn't want the answer, the kid shouldn't have asked the question."
I can only laugh. The guy has some balls thats for sure. He used to be a lawyer for some big time mob types in Vegas and I guess it shows. He is known to like to drink, not saying he is an alcoholic, but being known to like to drink would be a death sentance for a normal polotician these days. Another great quote from him is:
"I drink like a fish, gamble with both hands, and cavort with showgirls," says the 66-year-old mayor.
note also that:
His day starts at what he refers to as "City Hall East," an old-school Vegas diner named THE OMELET HOUSE (2160 West Charleston Boulevard), where the mayor orders coffee and holds court in his regular booth. (For the best service, he says, "ask for Betty.") Goodman doesn't dine--"I don't eat anything until I drink gin at five," he says wryly. "I don't want to ruin the jolt"--but he encourages breakfast partners to feast on the six-egg omelets and the famous pumpkin bread.
I don't think another mayor in America could get away with that...as they say only in Vegas!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails