Thursday, August 2, 2007

Birds

Among the many things I thought I would basically loose by moving to Las Vegas was bird watching/photography. That was a big hobby of mine back in Michigan as you can see here and here. Today I found the Henderson Bird Preserve. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong. The provide you with a very nice pamplet that you can check off all of the species of birds as you see them. There are reportedly over 270 species. At 100 acres it is much smaller than Crosswinds Marsh in Michigan which comes in at over 1,000 acres, but it is still very nice indeed. It also seems to host a mcuh larger variety of birds than Crosswinds does.

This is a Black-Crowned Night Heron. I saw a couple of these birds in Michigan, mostly at Pt. Mouilee State Game Area though. They seem pretty prevailant in Nevada as I saw several types of these today.



This is a Greater Road Runner. According to the worker there, Road Runners are not the sharpest bird out there. He states that they will take off running and after about 10-15 feet, kind of forget why they were running in the first place and just kind of stop. This one seemed to follow that pattern exactly.

Among these birds here are a Snowy Egret. I thought at first they were young Great Egret but after investigating a bit more they are easly distiguished apart by the yellow feet on the Snowy_egret.


This is a Ruddy Duck. They are quite common here and in Michigan. A very pretty bird all the same.




This is a White-Faced Ibis which they do not have in Michigan. Apparently it is easily disturbed as they all jumped up and flew away shortly after my arrival.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails